These slow cooker carnitas were just what we needed after a long day of work and class. The entire house was filled with the smell of this goodness when I got home and I could not wait to get dinner ready! It was moist and just flavorful enough, add your favorite toppings and devour!
Slow Cooker Carnitas (Serves 6)
Time: 30min Prep and 7-8hrs Cook
- 4-5lbs Pork Shoulder
- 8oz Beer ( I used Coors Light)
- 15oz Can of Chicken Stock
- 1 Jalapeno, Seeds Removed
- 2 Green Chilies, Seeds Removed
- 4-5 Garlic Gloves
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 2 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce (Optional)
- 2c Cilantro
- 1tsp Cumin
- 1/4tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Paprika
- 1/2tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4tsp Pepper
- 1/4tsp Coriander
- 1/2tsp Mexican Oregano
- Heat a pan to medium heat. While it heats up, mix together spices for the rub.
- Rub spices onto the pork shoulder and brown in the pan.
- Add beer, stock, chopped onions, chopped peppers, garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, and chopped onions into the slow cooker.
- Add your pork and top with 1c of cilantro, close the lid, and forget about it for about 7hours!
- When the pork is ready, set it aside on a plate while spooning out the onions, cilantro, and peppers for the sauce. Pour the vegetables and 1 1/2c of liquid into a blender and puree until everything comes together. Discard the rest of the liquid, place the pork back in and top with the sauce. I like to let it sit for about 30mins before shredding the pork.