Biscuits & Gravy (Makes 6 biscuits)
- 4-5 oz Sausage, Removed from casing (I used a hot breakfast sausage)
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 1/2c Milk, plus extra if it thickens too much
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook sausage in large pan and crumble into small pieces.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add butter and milk.
- Add in flour and mix until smooth. It will take a few minutes for the gravy to start thickening.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pour on the biscuits! If the gravy thickens too much prior to serving, just add a little more milk or cream.
- 2c Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tsp, plus 1/2tsp salt
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder and soda, sour cream, and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- Using a cheese grater to shave butter into flour, cut the butter into flour mixture with a fork.
- Once mixture resembles a coarse meal, add buttermilk and stir until combined. Don't overmix!
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1 inch thickness and use a biscuit cutter (I used a cup) to cut our biscuits. Place on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven for about 10-12 mins. ( The cookbook states 20-25 mins, but at 17 minutes mine were already slightly over brozned)
- You can brush melted butter on top if you'd like or just skip that step and pour on the gravy!