My version was adapted from Chef Symon. Click here for Symon's recipe.
Doesn't that look good?
Orecchiette with Sausage and Chard (Serves 6-8)
Time: 30mins Cook and Prep
- 1-1.5lb Sausage (You can really use any type of sausage that you want. Whether you like poultry, pork, or vegetarian, pick whatever floats your boat!)
- 1lb Orecchiette Pasta (Save 1/2 cup of pasta water)
- 1 bushel of Swiss Chard, roughly chopped (You can use another dark leafy green)
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, crushed or garlic powder (Optional)
- 1/2-1 Lemon (Zest and juice)
- 1 16z Can Cannellini Beans (Navy or Great Northern)
- 1/2-1c of Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper (Final step, add to your liking)
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Cook your pasta al dente, follow directions on the package. I used to not like al dente pasta, but my trip to Italy changed that!
- Remove your sausage from the casing, brown and crumble it on a large pan heated on medium. Add your chard and let it wilt for a few minutes.
- When the pasta is done,drain and add it to the pan Add in your reserved pasta water at this point and let it simmer down for a few minutes.
- Finally, add your beans, juice and zest of one lemon, and sprinkle on your cheese.
Remember the best way to reheat pasta is back in the pan with some broth or a a little bit of water. If you're going to put it in the microwave, I find that the pasta will stay fairly moist when covered with a wet paper towel.