Happy New Year friends! For our first dinner at home we made the Spicy Honey Chicken (previously posted) and a Pomegranate and Pear Salad. It's a delightful and fresh salad that I made on 3 different occasions in one week during the holidays. The salad also includes homemade candied pecans and shaved cheese tossed in a light balsamic dressing! If you want to cut some calories you can just throw in some fresh nuts(instead of candied) and exclude the cheese.
- 1 Pomegranate
- Salad, I used a 5oz Organic Spinach Container
- 1 Pear thinly sliced
- Shaved Cheese , I used a Parm, Asiago, Romano blend
- 1/2-1c Pecans
- 1/2 -1tbsp pat of Butter
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- 2tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2-3tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard ( Yellow or Dijon works)
- Set aside 1/2-1c of Pecans.
- For the Pecans, add 1/2 tbsp pat to 1 tbsp pat of butter and melt on medium.
- Once butter begins to melt, add your sugar and let it melt. Keep an eye out so it doesn't burn!
- After a few minutes throw in your pecans, turn off the heat, and coat the nuts in the caramel like mixture.
- Remove from heat and set aside on parchment paper or a cutting board and let them cool.
- Cut off the top portion of the pomegranate and soak the pomegranate in cold water for about 10-15minutes. Next you will use your hands to tear apart the pom and remove the seeds.
- Throw away the peel and drain the seeds to a strainer. They require a little work, but they're so good for you!
- Thinly slice your pear and set aside while you make the dressing.
- Mix the ingredients above for your dressing with a whisk and sprinkle some pepper if you desire.
- Finally, toss it all together and enjoy!