Depending on your schedule, you can just use store bought chicken stock and a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. If you have the time, I suggest you make it whole shebang! You can set this aside and eat it during the week or even freeze it for later.
Chicken Orzo Soup (Serves 6-8)
Time: 3-4hrs (30min Prep)
- 1 Chicken
- 32z Low Sodium Broth
- 1qt+2c Water
- 2 Gold Yukon Potatoes, chopped (You can use whatever you want here or even a root vegetable)
- 5 Carrots, chopped
- 5 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- Cayenne Pepper, 3-4 Dashes
- 1/2 tsp+ Curry Powder (It adds a nice sweet and nutty flavor!)
- 1-1 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Thyme
- 1c of Orzo (Optional)
- Pepper, to taste
- Add Stock, Water, Bay leaf and Chicken to a pot and set to boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, add chopped carrots and celery, set to medium low and cover for 1-1 1/2hrs.
- Constantly remove the foam and skim the fat with a spoon.
- After Chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and remove the skin and shred the chicken.
- Return shredded chicken along with the onion, potatoes, and the rest of the spices. Cook for another hour or so on low.
- 20mins before serving, add your cup of orzo if desired and cook on medium until pasta is cooked.
- Finally add any other seasonings your soup may require and enjoy! I personally like to add some sriracha chili sauce to mine!